How to Enforce Digital Brand Standards in Your Franchise Network
As a franchise organization, your brand and reputation are two of your most important assets. Your logo and messaging are often the first impression you make on potential customers. Having colors, sizes and messaging that is not uniform and consistent confuses audiences and leads to lack of brand recognition – and trust.
That’s why it’s incredibly important to make sure each franchise owner and supporting vendor understands the importance of digital brand standards and how it helps your organization.
So, what should be included in these brand standards? Where do you keep them? How do you enforce them across multiple franchises?
Creating Franchise or Small Business Brand Standards
If you have not created brand standards for your franchise or small business, make it a priority! Here are some items that should be included in your digital brand standards:
- Logo, types and sizes – Include the most-used versions of your logo. This may include the normal full-color organization logo, a stacked version of this logo, and a black and white version of the logo.
- Brand color palate and fonts – Include the approved colors and font types to be utilized for your brand.
- Documents or samples – Providing letterhead and templates ensures your team will be using the proper and approved branding on all of their materials.
- Approved messaging or taglines – Examples of approved messaging could include an organization’s mission statement, elevator speech, and taglines.
Where to House Brand Standards
Now that you’ve established your brand standards, where do you house them? Making sure your digital and print media brand standards are conveniently located makes it easier on your franchisees, vendors and corporate staffers to carry out their duties. It also makes it easier for you to slap someone’s wrist when they go rogue.
The best tip is to keep your digital brand standards where each franchise or key team member can easily access it, like on an online portal. Having your standards on a shared platform ensures everyone has the most up-to-date version. This will help franchise owners use the right voice and tone, as well as logo treatments and other brand elements that appear in both online and traditional media, like Facebook ads and ads in the local paper.
How to Enforce Brand Standards
- Create personalized penalties – Brands have implemented penalties for violating brand standards. By creating your own personalized penalty, you are creating an effective incentive to observe the standards.
- Work with trusted partners – Find a content vendor that knows your brand and use them across channels and services.
- Show approved personality – If a franchise owner is looking to show personality, they can express that on their social profiles. There is also the option to have a small block of copy that can be updated on their local web page. Being limited to a small block of custom copy safeguards SEO and the majority of the branding consistency already established on the page.
If you have any questions regarding brand standards or how to keep them consistent across multiple franchises, PointA can help! Give us a call at (231) 922-9977 or submit the form on our Contact Us page to learn how PointA can help with everything from creating your brand standards to writing and designing content that adheres to those standards, reinforcing your branding at every turn.
Subscribe to Our Blog
Subscribe to the PointA blog for more information. We'll send you newsletters, blog posts, tips and so much more from time to time.